Committee Meeting Minutes August 2017

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 21st August 2017

Meeting held at Moa Kids premises

Present:

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Carly Waddleton (CW), Steve Willcox (SW), Zoe Fidler (ZF), Jude Coombs (JC), Geraldine Bovett (GB), Shelley Mitchell (SM)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS), Letisha Derham (LD)

Apologies:   

Rrita Xharra-Pope (RXP), Abigail Wills (AW)

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

 

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

 

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting June & July 2017

Approved true and correct - Hayley Strachan

Seconded - Steve Willcox

 

CHAIRS REPORT (CW)

Fruit trees - CCC have confirmed that Moa Kids can plant some fruit trees in the park, a decision needs to be made on where and all of the correct resources gained.  The CCC do have some trees that they are willing to give to Moa Kids to start this venture.

The new Family Safety Policy has gone to Ministry of Education but they have requested a few changes so it is still a work in progress document.

Thank you to Jude for standing in as Chair while I was away overseas.

 

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)  

Whooooooooo it has been an extremely 2 months at busy Moa Kids and have had at Moa Kids.

My report is very short this month as I have spent most of my time on the floor. This is for a few reasons: we have increased our numbers and we are needing extra support, because we have increased our numbers so much, I am needed on the floor to keep up the 80% funding band for registered teachers. We have also had a lot of sick leave and annual leave.

Over the two months we have had 15 new children start and 4 children leave for school.

We are now at the stage where we have a waitlist in the nursery for days. We are sitting on 10 children in there 4 days a week.

The whole centre is completely full with 50 children on a Tuesday and very close on Wednesday.

So we have increased hugely, very excited about that. I am now at the stage where I need to make sure we change a few things moving forward. I’m becoming stretched in many directions at work and not actually getting the office side of things sorted. I was happy of course to do this, to get the numbers and wait a few months to see if it will continue. We are constantly having families call and come through. Just today I have had three families want 4 days a week 8-5 for their children. So I’m confident to say this will continue.

I’m off on a leadership course in September for three days. I’m super excited for this and things it has come at the perfect time for me. Just starting to feel a little burnt out. So hoping this will refresh and get me back on track.

As a centre we have been again successful and get free ministry PD. This is being rolled out by Core education on Maths in the early years. We will be doing three workshops and then an in house one.

Resolution to look to employ a new 40 hr per week teacher to cover both preschool and nursery.

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Hayley Strachan

 

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

Hrs funded per day from 191 to 230 which is well above the budget, we are about 10% above budget in our everyday average on money coming in.

Government Funding: We are 21% above budget in July.

Income: We are ahead on this.

Costs: are broadly in line with budget, the staff expenses are above budget and cumulatively running above budget but this is mostly relievers to deal with the extra number of children.

Net profit we budget a loss and achieved a profit.  So far we are $19K up cumulatively.

 

HR REPORT (HS)

No issues apart from the staffing.

Zoe will work 4 day a week at a date to be confirmed, 9-12 Mon, Weds, Thurs & Fri.

 

SUCCESSION PLANNING (AW)

No change.

 

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Strengthening Communities Grant has been lodged.  We are still waiting to hear about this.

Rata Foundation - ZF and AW have got the majority of this written up, we just need the resolutions.  We have received letters of support from both Redcliffs School and Redcliffs Residents Association.

Zoe Fidler and Abigail Wills briefly outlined the proposal to approach The Rata Foundation with an application for funding for a grant to cover the cost of new outdoor play equipment.  The Committee resolved that a request be made to The Rata Foundation for funding for:

1.     the amount of $7,588.84 (GST exclusive) for the outdoor play equipment, $46.90 for delivery (GST exclusive) to a total of $7,635.74.

2.     To be used for the purposes of acquiring outdoor play equipment for the entire centre as detailed to the Committee.

And resolved to delegate authority to Zoe Fidler (as secretary) and Abigail Wills (as a member of the governance committee) to execute all documentation required in connection with the application.

Moved: Zoe Fidler

Seconded: Jude Coombs

 

Mainland Foundation - ZF is applying to the Mainland Foundation for new beds and sheets in the preschool room (effectively the same as the application made to Harcourts Foundation).  Again, we just need a resolution for this application then I can send it off this week.

Zoe Fidler and Abigail Wills briefly outlined the proposal to approach The Mainland Foundation with an application for funding for a grant to cover the cost of new stretcher beds, sheet sets and a stretcher bed trolley.

The Committee resolved that a request be made to The Mainland Foundation for funding for:

1.     the amount of $1,688.35 (GST exclusive) for the beds, sheets and trolley, $46.90 for delivery (GST exclusive) to a total of $1,735.25.

2.     To be used for the purposes of acquiring stretcher beds, sheet sets and a stretcher bed trolley for the entire centre as detailed to the Committee.

And resolved to delegate authority to Zoe Fidler (as secretary) and Abigail Wills (as a member of the governance committee) to execute all documentation required in connection with the application.

Moved: Zoe Fidler

Seconded: Hayley Strachan

Closed for Good - BNZ - Unfortunately no-one at BNZ put their name down to help out with our project so this won’t be going ahead this year.

 

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

We have noticed that the retaining logs have gone rotten and are very mossy so we will monitor it and find the best way of dealing with this should the situation arise.

Once the evenings start to brighten up, the staff are going to go up to the tsunami house.

 

FUNDRAISING (JudeC)

Murder Mystery - this has been postponed until a later date in the financial year.  CW will look at the calendar for the Sumner Community Centre and aim for February.

We need a last thing before the end of the year: Winnebagoes? Flip out? Movie? Go potty?

Calendars - the dates have been given to the teachers and we will be more onto it this year to get them back in plenty of time for overseas Christmas postage.

 

POLICIES

All policies have been seen by teachers and committee members.  No changes to be made.

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Incorporated Society

3 new members and 3 resigned members.  All approved.

HS & LD will put a list of jobs that need doing together and we will advertise to hold a working bee early Spring (between weekend sports).

SW - First aid - do all staff hold a First Aid certificate?

Nearly all of them.  MoE policy is that we have someone with one on opening and closing.  Sharleen’s has lapsed so this needs to be done.  Also, Emily will get hers once she is qualified. Ali doesn’t need one as she won’t be on an opening or closing on her own as she isn’t a qualified member, but we will revisit this later in the year.

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 16th October 2017 at 7.30pm

 

MEETING CLOSED at 8:25pm