Committee Meeting Minutes February 2018

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 19th February 2018

Meeting held at Moa Kids premises

Present:

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Carly Waddleton (CW), Steve Willcox (SW), Zoe Fidler (ZF), Rrita Xharra-Pope (RXP), Jude Coombs (JC), Geraldine Bovett (GB) and Shelley Mitchell (SM)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS)

Apologies:       Abigail Wills (AW), Jordana Clarke (JClarke) and Letisha Derham (LD)

Non-Committee Members:        Nicole Murphy (NM)

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

 

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting January 2018

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Hayley Strachan

CHAIRS REPORT (CW)

Nothing to report.

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)  

It has been a very busy few weeks at Moa Kids.  We have had lots of children head off to school, but with our waitlist in place, their places have been given out already.  We continue to have new families come around, but unfortunately we can’t get them in.  We have continued to grow our numbers and our centre is now full each morning so we have no full day spot or morning sessions available.

We have been through the interview process for our Nursery position .  We interviewed some fantastic applicants this time.  We have offered the position out but are just waiting for her reply.  If she is successful, she will be started on the 9th April 2018.

We had a teachers PD afternoon with Liz Depree on Saturday 10th February.  This was fantastic.  Thank you for allowing us to have the opportunity to do this.

We have been given our dates for ERO.  They will be here from the week starting 23rd April.  We are just making sure we have all our systems in place.  We will let you know if we need anything from you as a committee once the reviewers have made contact.

We have brought on one of the dads to help with some handyman work.  This is working out really well.  He is getting through our list.

We have new sand that has arrived.  It looks fantastic and we had help from a few dads in moving it.

We were successful in getting three laptops donated from the Christchurch City Council.  This has been a huge help with getting the teachers up to date and sorted with their program and planning.

Otherwise that is all.  We will just continue to prepare for our up and coming ERO review.

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

Incoming

Government funding is at $46,000, we budgeted for $28,000 so that’s an overall increase of 30%.

Parent fees are well ahead of budget, being $23,000.

Expenses

Relievers are up but that’s to be expected with an increase in children numbers, they go hand in hand.

Budget building for the next financial year will start within the next month.

SUCCESSION PLANNING (AW)

We have started putting the profiles up on Facebook for our committee members.  If you haven’t done so already, can you please email Zoe the answers to the questions and also a photo of you with your child.

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

The Southern Trust

We are applying to the Southern Trust for a grant for new safety mats for the new outdoor equipment which we purchased last year following a grant from The Rata Foundation.

We need to pass a resolution for this.

Resolution of the Governance Committee of Moa Kids Community Early Learning Centre Incorporated passed 19th February 2018.

Zoe Fidler briefly outlined the proposal to approach The Southern Trust with an application for funding for a grant to cover the cost of acquiring outdoor safety mats.

The Committee resolved that a request be made to The Southern Trust for funding for:

  1. the amount of $1,415.97 (one thousand, four hundred and fifteen dollars and 97 cents).
  2. to be used for the purposes of acquiring outdoor safety mats as detailed to the Committee.

And resolved to delegate authority to Zoe Fidler (as secretary) and Abigail Wills (as a member of the Governance Committee) to execute all documentation required in connection with the application.

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Jude Coombs

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

There is a storm coming so we will ensure there is a notice on the board for the parents to be prepared.

FUNDRAISING (JudeC)

Murder Mystery

Ticket sales: 7 and a bit tabels have been sold, so we are nearly there.

All of the actors are in place.

Rrita got lots of food vouchers from local supermarkets.

Raffle prizes - we have lots of vouchers for this donated from local businesses (approx 15).

Auction prizes - we have photography sessions, Black Caps jersey, Ray White advertising package and bike, Black Cap test tickets.  We will accept sealed bid for auction items.

A parent has kindly donated $460 to cover the cost of the hall.

Need to email parents to ask them to make desserts and also let them know about auction items and raffle prizes.

POLICIES

February - Health & Safety at Work

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Invoicing: Can we please make sure that the payment date on the invoices is always correct.

Resolution to move that Nicole Murphy become a Governance Committee Member as of today’s date - 19th February 2018.

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Hayley Strachan

NEXT MEETING

Monday 19th March 2018 at 7.30pm

MEETING CLOSED at 8:09pm