Committee Meeting Minutes February 2019

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 28th January 2019

Held at Moa Kids premises

Present:          

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Carly Waddleton (CW), Steve Willcox (SW), Geneva Pritchard (GP) and Abi Wills (AW)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS), Letisha Derham (LD) & Rachael Black (RB)

Apologies:       Zoe Fidler, Rrita Xharra-Pope, Shelley Mitchell, Nicole Murphy, Jude Coombs and Geraldine Bovett (GB)

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting January 2019

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Steve Willcox

CHAIRS REPORT (CW)

Liquor Licence Application

It is important that we stand up for issues that are in the interest of Moa Kids and our tamariki. However, we also have a duty to remain neutral on issues that do not directly impact us for example, political neutrality. Therefore, it has been decided that we will not make a submission on the liquor licence on the basis that we believe we are not directly impacted.

The committee are able to make submissions, for or against, as individuals, as long as it is clear that this is not associated to Moa Kids.

Liquor Licences are a topic that are understandably emotive and people are passionate about, which is why it is important that Moa Kids remains neutral, unless there is a perceived direct impact.

Spraying

Hayley and I have drafted a letter to the Community Board complaining about the lack of communication about the spraying and have asked for a resolution.

All members agreed with above statements.

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)    

We are fully into the swing of 2019. All children are back from holidays and we are at full capacity again.

This year we have 22 children heading off to school. So that will allow children to pick up extra days and also bring children in that are on the waitlist.

This year with it being so busy, we have decided to send newsletters out every month. So the last week of each month we will be sending out a monthly newsletter.

The preschool teachers have started their new project on ‘’the body’’ this is underway. Shay is in full swing in dolphin club. They will also aim to do two visits a term to school, one to Redcliffs School and one Sumner School.

Extra teacher in preschool room. Rebecca is waiting to hear if she has been accepted into college. If she is successful, which I’m sure she will be, she was the successful applicant for this position. Ali will then move into the Domestic role and Kat (who has been relieving here for some time) will be employed at Moa in the support teacher role. Once we hear from Rebecca’s college, we can start the ball rolling.

Terehia is slowly completing her return to work program with ACC. They are hoping she will be back to full duties come the end of March

Our first family evening is this Thursday (21st) at 5pm – 6pm. Hopefully the weather will be good.  We have had lots of families saying they will be attending.

We have decided, after looking at the budget, that we will send one person a year along to the Reggio PD in Melbourne.

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

Summary: Government funding hours are the highest we have seen it. We are above budget for funded hours. With parent fees, we are a little low, as this was a mistake in last report; so it has been corrected in this month’s numbers.

Costs are high this month. We are just below what we budgeted for.

We are sitting at a $30,488.30 profit year to date, this is under budget, but if we did not have the legal costs in the middle of last year, we would be well above budget. So SW is still happy at where we are sitting. It feels overall it has been a very successful year. Our reserves are back to where they were 5 years ago, before we went through our low year. Next month Steve will go through the annual budget that he has been preparing.

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Rata Foundation

AW with get together with ZF and prepare the Rata Foundation Grant application. We have decided we will now go back to our original plan and look at IT educational equipment.

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

Nothing to report.

FUNDRAISING

The Quiz has been booked for Sunday 31st March at 6.30pm at the Good Home, Ferrymead. The committee feel this isn’t the best time for families and trying to get children down to sleep and babysitters. Hayley will get Rrita to check to see if we can move this to 7.30pm.

Rirta and Zoe have done up a Fundraising calendar for 2019. We will stick to this year and evaluate it at the end of the year.

POLICIES

To be reviewed in March as staff not viewed it as yet.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Letisha : Letisha wanted to thank the committee for the vaulting her and making it possible to go on so much PD.

Succession planning: Carly in concerned with the numbers of committee members not coming to the meeting. Hayley mentioned she feels she needs to get better at following people up from when they say they are interested to come onto the committee. Carly thought it would be a good idea to mention the committee at the fish and chip evening. Hayley and Carly will say a few words to parents on Thursday.

Incorporated Society

We have a couple of new parents who want to be members of the incorporated society, they are: Emma Higgins and Sarah Edwards.

The following are to resigned from membership: Amy Carter, Megan Didham and Olivia Young.

Carly moved proposed this, everyone agreed and passed it

NEXT MEETING

Monday 18th March 2019 at 7.30pm

MEETING CLOSED at 8:10pm