Committee Meeting Minutes June 2018

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 18th June 2018

Meeting held at Moa Kids premises.

Present:

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Carly Waddleton (CW), Steve Willcox (SW), Zoe Fidler (ZF), Jude Coombs (JC), Shelley Mitchell (SM) and Nicole Murphy (NM)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS) and Letisha Derham (LD)

Apologies:    Geraldine Bovett (GB), Abi Wills (AW) and Rrita Xharra-Pope (RXP)

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

 

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

 

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting April 2018

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Zoe Fidler

 

CHAIRS REPORT (CW)

Meeting put into Publically Excluded status at 7:35pm.  

Carly Waddleton

Meeting returned to Un-Publically Excluded status at 7:40pm

Carly Waddleton

CW will be away for the next 2 meetings so JCoombs will stand in.

 

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)  

It has continued to be busy at Moa. The waitlist has continued to grow; perfect example we have had a nursery child leave due to change of circumstances. We have given all 5 days away to current families that are on the centre waitlist. Which is gr­­eat.

Deb has settled in well to the nursery room. With Sharon away, Lucy and Margie have been covering her leave. This is working well and children and families have seem to be settled and happy, which is fantastic.

The team went out on Saturday for dinner and to Scared Scriptless to celebrate our ERO report and to say thanks to them for all their hard work.  It was a great night and enjoyed by all.

We have our Matariki evening next Wednesday night. All the children are very excited about this.

Shay and Terehia and group of children are off to a marae visit next week. The children have been learning their mihi’s and becoming very good at them.

Redcliffs School had their school disco and few families asked if we were having one this year. So we thought we could make a date for this tonight and talk about the possibilities of having it on a Friday at 5pm. We don’t have to. But a lot of our families have sport Saturday and head away skiing. So we could try it.

Storage/ Shed:  With us getting so many wonderful resources lately, our shed and store room are very full and are becoming a health and safety issue. We need some storage built in these areas. So tough we could apply for the BNZ closed for good first and se how we get along.  HS to put a note on the whiteboard looking for a “builder” parent to help with storage.  Need ideas for storage in the shed.

 

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

Income statement summary:

Income is just ahead of budget by $4,000.  We have set ourselves a tight budget for this financial year.

We are sightly overspent mostly because of relievers but the profit so far is $14,000 against a budget of $11,000 which is great.  We aren’t spending much on advertising.  June is most likely going to be a higher cost as there are extra costs which we are expecting.

We are performing nicely and we are slightly better off than we budgeted.

 

SUCCESSION PLANNING (AW)

This can be removed from the next agenda meeting.

 

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Bunnings

Bunnings are providing everything we need to make planter boxes including soil and seeds.  They are also sending someone along to make the boxes up this week.

Strengthening Communities

We haven’t heard from the Council yet about this.  As soon as we find out I’ll let you know.

Hayley is to look at what else the centre want to aim to get with a grant.  Storage, cameras for teachers, iPods and docks etc,

 

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

Council came out regarding leaking skylight.  Roofing people have been out and have ordered flashing which they will fit once it arrives to them.

Colin has been helping with small things that are broken.

 

FUNDRAISING (JudeC)

Disco

HS to take this over.  We are looking at a Friday evening from 4.30.

Would we like to do another quiz?  If so, would we like pick a date and time etc?  Maybe sometime early to mid August.  JC to talk too Sally.

Bake Sale - Mt Pleasant market

September/October

Beeswax wraps

Get more information.

Reuseable bags

Sell these to families for $5.

 

POLICIES

May - Health & Safety Workplace Management

June - Injury & Illness Management

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Graffitti (CW)

HS called the CCC but we haven’t heard about this being cleared.  ZF will Snap, Send, Solve this.

Pest Control (CW)

Do we have a pest control policy?  We know that there are pests around the compost.  How can we stop these from coming into the buildings?  HS to get a pest controller in.

Kidsfirst (AW)

We need to keep an eye on this.  They will be taking on from 2 year olds but they are also going through the school holidays.  They will only be open until 2.30pm. They are also doing 30 hours.

Incorporated Society (ZF)

Kathryn McCurrie is to be removed from the listing as her son, Arlo has left the centre.

Bonus Bonds (ZF)

We realised that the current authorised names for our Bonus Bonds are people who left Moa Kids a very long time ago.  ZF has managed to get confirmation from a lady (Maria) at Bonus Bonds of what we need to do to change these names.  Unfortunately, as we don’t have access to the current names we are going to have to do lots of checks etc to get us listed.  The ultimate aim is to remove the money from the bonus bonds and close the account.  We need to have a resolution to ensure that this happens:

Resolution to allow Zoe Fidler (as Secretary) and Hayley Strachan (as Centre Manager) to become the authorised signatories on the Bonus Bonds account.  Zoe and Hayley will need to register with ANZ Bank to be added to the account.

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Jude Coombs

Photos (ZF)

We have some new committee members who we need photos of.  Zoe has offered to take these photos for the board.  Nicole and Geneva are missing.  Also, does anyone need a new photo to be taken?

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 16th July 2018 at 7.30pm

 

MEETING CLOSED at 8:18 pm