Committee Meeting Minutes March 2019

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 18th March 2019

Held at Moa Kids premises

Present:          

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Carly Waddleton (CW), Steve Willcox (SW), Zoe Fidler (ZF), Shelley Mitchell (SM), Geneva Pritchard (GP) and Geraldine Bovett (GB)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS), Letisha Derham (LD) & Rachael Black (RB)

Apologies:       Abigail Wills

Present by phone:        Rrita Pope (RP) and Nicole Murphy (NM)

Non-member presence:            Niamh Buchanan (NB)

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

 

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

 

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting January 2019

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Hayley Strachan

 

CHAIRS REPORT (CW)

Friday’s Situation

Thank you to the staff for dealing with this so well.

Measles

Thank you to the tea for getting this information together and finding out who is and isn’t immunised.

 

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)    

Firstly, I just want to thank everyone for Friday. The teachers and children were amazing. Zoe is our service provider, so she was getting all the updates from the Ministry and informing us and then passing this on to parents, so this was fantastic and did a super job.  We have had really good feedback on the communication throughout the whole process.  Once that final email went out that we were on official lock down, the parents who had children here were great. We had one distressed dad. We used our food from the emergency kit, so we have restocked this.

Parents have asked if we will do anything on behalf of Moa Kids for the Muslim community.

Terehia has been slowly coming back to work. As of next week, she should be back full time and counted in our ratios. This will be great as Rebecca then will be the extra and we will not have to get in casuals all the time.

The last few months our alarm has randomly been going off. The alarm has never been connected to anything while I’ve been here. It also has makes the neighbours very angry.  So we have decided we are now in the position to have this monitored. The man has come out and has got this all sorted.

Rebecca, Kat and Ali have all started in their new positions. This is going really well.

Shay has had an operation on her ear on Friday; this went well, so depending on her recovery time she will be off this week and maybe next.

Garry from the Council has asked to come out for a meeting regarding the rent rebate. Carly, Steve and I are meeting him on the 3rd of April. He said on the phone we will be getting it this year. It is about making a plan moving forward and he said not to panic.

Measles outbreak. As you are aware they have been a measles outbreak in Canterbury. Zoe has been working hard and getting all families to update their immunisation records. Good news that at Moa Kids every child that can be immunised has been. There are no parents that choose not to.

 

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

Busy month beat budget on govt funding and fees and investment (interest).

Income was 5k ahead on budget which was more than normal.  

Good month on costs, pretty low on these.  We made a profit of 11k against a budget of 5k.  That’s an exceptional month.  What we expect in March is to have a lot more costs as we catch up some spending. 40k against 56k.

We are absolutely full and costs are in order.

Budget

Budgeted to be full as we have been recently.  2015 we lost $46, 2016 lost $80k, last year and this year’s forecast.  We looked at the costs and the biggest cost is staff.  We have employed 5 extras in the last 2 years and we need to factor in a cost of living wage rise.  Cleaning and other services have all increased.  As we strengthen the cost of the IT we will need to invest $25 so this will need to be “found”.  $30k is way below the level which we have set.  

Parent fee line - this year $188 to $213 for next year.  This will make the net profit of $50k which will increase.

HR issue which cost $35,000.

We have reserves which are for redundancies, returning the building to what is was etc.  We need big reserves to deal with this.

Budget is accepted with the parent fee increase in place.

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Geneva Pritchard.

Parent Fee Increase

This has not been increased in 5 years.  Inflation has increased, staff wages, living costs etc. Plus our costs have increased now that we are full.  We need to make sure that we have headroom in the budget if numbers drop.  We propose $1 per hour increase from the 1st May.  

HS - We have investigated.  We are the cheapest in the area by far and even with a $1 increase we will be the cheapest.

GP - Will you explain the $1 broken down.  There will be a cap of $55 per day.

Under 3 years

Number of hours:

Total cost:

3 hours

$22.50

3.5 hours

$26.25

4 hours

$30.00

6 hours

$45.00

7 hours

$52.50

7+ hours (full day)

$55.00

5 full days a week

$250.00

 

3 to 5 years with 20 ECE hours plus 10 extra hours (total 30 hours):

Number of hours:

Total cost:

3 hours

Free

3.5 hours

Free

4 hours

Free

6 hours

Free

7 hours

$7.50

7+ hours (full day)

$22.50

5 full days a week

$112.50

We need to make sure that the families understand this.

$10 donation: Not a lot of families do this.  The ones who do are generally getting the free hours, they don’t so much if they have to pay an hourly rate too. We don’t force people to pay this donation, it does change regularly for some families.

3 year olds are our highest funding for 20 hours.  We cover 10 hours to make it up to 30 hours.

CCC are likely to be stopping our rent rebate next year so we will need to pay for this ourselves at some point in the next couple of years.

We need to make sure that we are all on the same page especially when other parents mention it.  We need to make sure that we have a solid one line comment to ensure that we can explain it.  CW/HS to draft something.

NM suggested saying “for your family you will have this…. To cover this”.

NB what have we done well, what will we keep doing etc and turn it around and take the emphasis off the $1 increase.

 

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Strengthening Communities Fund

This has now opened.  We need to acknowledge that we are going to go ahead with this.

Moa Kids will be applying to the Christchurch City Council for the Strengthening Communities Fund to cover the cost of the rent rebate for a cost of $32,889.

Moved: Zoe Fidler (Secretary)

Seconded: Steve Wilcox (Treasurer)

Rata Foundation

AW with get together with ZF and prepare the Rata Foundation Grant application. We have decided we will now go back to our original plan and look at IT educational equipment.

 

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

Nursery sunshade over the sandpit has been removed as the ropes have perished.  We will get this fixed.

The little grass rise has now got a divot in it but Colin is going to fill this for us.

We have made a slight change to the way we have been sunscreening the children, in that we are ticking a name list.  This will be changed on the policy.

 

FUNDRAISING

The Quiz is Sunday 31st March at 7.30pm.  We had a telephone call from Good Home in Ferrymead to say that they have closed down but Andy, the owner will make sure that the quiz still goes ahead.  He has secured the Redcliffs Bowling Club as a venue.  89 tickets have been sold - need to get 120.  We don’t have many families buying tickets, it’s mostly staff and friends.

The raffle baskets are looking good.  

Renaissance spa are going to do something for us for each table or the raffle.  RP also chasing up hairdressers for kids haircuts.

 

POLICIES

Privacy not sent to Committee so we will do that in April.

Personnel Policy - do in April.

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Debrief on the lockdown

What went well:  

Comms: The emails were quick and informative.  Could we have texts go out - we will look into how we could do this.  Look how the schools do this.

Positive feedback about the calmness of the centre and keeping the children calm.  Also making toasties etc.

What happened:

We got an email from a parent saying there were 9 shooters in the area.  HS was open at the door, every parent wanted their child, got them quick and got out. Once the car park cleared we went into full lockdown.  A dad arrived quite angry, HS allowed him in and made him leave quickly, they got the child within 2 mins.  What could we have done though as the children were really calm.  It’s really difficult because people are so emotive.

We will send out a debrief email explaining protocols etc also explain that the local schools also have a lockdown the same.  If we let you in we are breaching this with these consequences.  Ultimately we are doing this to keep the children safe.

Food and water in store - mostly taken from the emergency box.  We need to probably have more bread which has since been bought.  We always have fruit, crackers etc.  HS to check the date on all of the food every month.

Parents - do we need to offer support?  We have asked not to have conversations on the floor but HS has been talking to parents in the foyer.  Older children do know what happened so the teachers have asked that they maybe talk to the teachers, not the other children.

NB: Where does Moa stand on different situations?  We need to ensure that we have a paramount of safety of the children and then supporting our parent community.  We could write something explaining it.

We need to think about when the children go on trips, especially small trips in Redcliffs.

Actions:

Look into a texting system

Sending an email to parents - thanking for patience. What’s the why, value etc.

Incorporated Society

We have a new parent who want to be members of the incorporated society: Katerina Garner.

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 15th April 2019 at 7.30pm

 

MEETING CLOSED at 8:10pm