Committee Meeting Minutes November 2017

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 20th November 2017

Meeting held at Moa Kids premises

Present:          

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Carly Waddleton (CW), Steve Willcox (SW), Jude Coombs (JC), Geraldine Bovett (GB) and Shelley Mitchell (SM)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS) and Letisha Derham (LD)

Apologies:      

Zoe Fidler (ZF), Rrita Xharra-Pope (RXP), Abigail Wills (AW) and Jordana Clarke (JClarke)


KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

 

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

 

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting October 2017

Approved true and correct - Jude Coombs

Seconded - Steve Willcox

 

CHAIRS REPORT (CW)

Nothing to report.

 

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)  

Well first the staff just wanted to say a big thank you for all your hard work this year. They have put on a few treats for you all.

This is the last meeting for 2017. So I just wanted to say big thanks personally to you all. It has been a huge year for Moa Kids and I feel we have achieved a lot. We have a big way to go, but are certainly moving in the right direction. I’m away to Ireland for 4 weeks over the Christmas break. Letisha will of course be me. We do close for two weeks of that time. But ill will be back full of beans raring to go on the 15th January.

Numbers are continuing to grow and even more exciting next year we have a waitlist on most days.  When a centre first becomes full for the first time, it is hard to balance the roles to have the children role through to the preschool from the nursery and keep numbers at 10 and 40. Because when we are not full and families want to start we just take what we can.

So start of next year, we will sit at 7 in the nursery and 43 in preschool on some days. But what I’ll do there is, when a child leaves for school. I’ll bring on a nursery child on off the waitlist. Great thing is I haven’t hired a full time third nursery teacher; I have just been using permanent casuals. So I will keep it like this and just won’t get them on the days we have lower numbers.

We have the Redcliffs School fair on Sunday. I have purchased bubbles and play dough. So we will be selling them at $2 each. I have brought about 90 of each. Do think this will be enough? We also have a few activities set up. Shay and Lucy will be doing face painting for a gold coin. We have staff and families doing 1 hour shifts throughout the day. I will take most of the stuff over on the Saturday and set up the tent and be there on the Sunday for the day as well.

Sharon has started her return back to work. She is doing 4 hours a day for two weeks, extending onto 6 hours and hopefully the week of the 11th December she will be back 8 hours a day.

Sharleen has ask to extend her 3 day a week through to next year. We are just working through this at the moment. We really need her back 5 days now, but hopefully will meet her half way.

Our staff have a team building professional development session tomorrow evening with Chris Beadly tomorrow night. I managed to get this free, which is always a bonus. So with Terehia coming on, I think this will be a great way to spend one of our last staff meetings.

The Children’s Christmas party is all booked for Tuesday 5th December starting at 4.30pm. Melanie Poppins is all booked in and all the children have been practicing their songs.

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

It’s been another busy month.  The hours funded per day is at 266, we have beat the budget by 30%

Page 1 shows govt funding is up 30% in no’s above budget.  

Bit more spending on centre and resources, including beds, other operating costs are a bit higher, staff advertising etc.  Staff expenses very high, well over budget.  Qualified relievers needed.  Staff gifts, Christmas bonus.  Staff having to go above and beyond.  $300 gift, tax free and $300 pay award appear in November, will budget pay increases from April onwards.  However still made a profit $5000, $55k above budget.

HR REPORT (HS)

We have appointed a domestic role position. Rebecca will be starting with us from he 15th January Monday – Friday 9- 230. She is a past parent from Moa and knows lot families. We feel she will make a great asset to our team.

SUCCESSION PLANNING (AW)

We are doing well with weekly reminders of what is going on and putting the committee details up on the board early helps.

Need to get some short bios etc on the website and facebook.

AW & ZF will get together to sort out questions for committee members to answer.

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Rata Foundation: We received a grant of $4,000 which is for outdoor physical equipment.  We will get 9 different things and 6 stands, which are all moveable.

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

The CCC have been working here and have fixed the sliding door and the children’s bathroom tap.  They have also had a contractor out spraying weeds in the park, we have spoken with them and they will let us know when they are spraying, but is organic and bring kids in if gets smelly.  

FUNDRAISING (JudeC)

Murder Mystery - The Mt Pleasant Community Centre has been booked for 10th March 2018.  An email will go out early December to parents asking for people to join the sub-committee.  Fundraising email address - fundraising@moakids.org.nz

POLICIES

November - Excursions

December - Health & Safety

Separated Parents Policy - new policy

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Christmas dates

Closing at 5pm on Friday 22nd December, reopening at 8am on Monday 8th January 2018.

NEXT MEETING

Monday 22nd January 2018 at 7.30pm

MEETING CLOSED at 8:05 pm