Committee Meeting Minutes October 2017

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 16th October 2017

Meeting held at Moa Kids premises

Present:

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Steve Willcox (SW), Zoe Fidler (ZF), Jude Coombs (JC), Rrita Xharra-Pope (RXP), Abigail Wills (AW) Geraldine Bovett (GB) and Shelley Mitchell (SM)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS) and Letisha Derham (LD)

Apologies:       Carly Waddleton (CW) and Jordana Clarke (JClarke)

 

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

 

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

 

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting September 2017

Approved true and correct - Jude Coombs

Seconded - Steve Willcox

 

CHAIRS REPORT (JudeC)

No report as CW couldn’t attend.

 

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)  

Again we have continued to welcome more families and as you will in the finance report we are certainly up on the funding that expected.

We have had three head to school this week. But those numbers will not be affected on these funding numbers. Since the last meeting we have had 6 new children start. So we have certainly covered the 3 that have left.

Unfortunately poor Sharon had an accident few weeks back and broke her foot at work. She is off until at the 31st October, but she sees the specialist this Wednesday and will find out then if she needs surgery.  Tracy had a dietetic dreary and is off work until next Monday.  Teriera started today. Which we are very excited about. She will be working in the preschool.  We also have Ali and Elanza supporting in the nursery along with me. So hoping we will restrict the relievers again.

Need to limit complaints from parents about lots of relievers being on the floor.

We had our big production on Friday. Unfortunately I was sick. But it went really well and have had lots of great feedback.

I spoke at the Rotary club on Tuesday night. I think this went well and it was great to get feedback saying they only knew about moa kids in the last 18 months to two years. So we must be doing something right.

I’m hoping now with Teriera coming on that I can get back into the office a little more/ Zoe starts her new hours this week. So she is in every day part from Tuesday 9 – 12

We are just planning Redcliff’s fair now with Zoe. Playdough and bubbles.

Resolution to employ a non-qualified person for 25 hours per week (5 hours per day, 5 days per week) to take the role of “domestic”.

Moved: Hayley Strachan

Seconded:  Steve Willcox

 

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

Half way through the year already!

Activity levels were up again.  We are now up to 253 hrs per day funding from 188 at the start of the year!

Budget was 206, we are 25% above budget.

$10,000 ahead on government funding.  $40,000 ahead for the full year which is due to the children’s numbers being up.

Parent fees are up significantly as there are so many fee paying families in (2 year olds and nursery). In theory we should keep up this level of activity.

Costs are in line with budget.  We are good on costs all the way through, staff expenses are high but in line with the number of children.

Cumulatively we are up $43,000.  

Excellent work from the staff team.

 

HR REPORT (HS)

Terehia started today, she is a qualified teacher and new grad.  HS believes she is going to be a great member of the team.  She is building relationships with the children and greeting parents etc before starting on profile books.  HS and LD have a plan to support Terehia.

 

SUCCESSION PLANNING (AW)

We are doing well with weekly reminders of what is going on and putting the committee details up on the board early helps.

Need to get some short bios etc on the website and facebook.

AW & ZF will get together to sort out questions for committee members to answer.

 

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Strengthening Communities Grant - we got it!!  As Carly said there is a review that is going to be gone through next round.

Rata Foundation - This has been submitted and received by Rata Foundation.  Now we wait!!

Rotary Neighbourhood Grants  - SW will send some information on this after he has looked into it.

AW & ZF will get together to sort through and figure out which organisations are the best to apply to.

 

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

Sharon broke her foot after standing on a toy.  HS has talked to teachers about picking up toys on the floor.  We will use this as a reminder to keep the floor as clear as possible.

 

FUNDRAISING (JudeC)

Murder Mystery - Mt Pleasant Community Centre.  Will be charging $460 for this.  There is seating for around 90 people at tables.  We have asked parents businesses if they would like to help out with the cost.  We are looking at a date at the beginning of March 2018, this will give us plenty of time to plan it.  NW Redcliffs will be approached about food.  JC will get a committee organised to sort out the food.  Actors are pretty much sorted.  In order to self cater we have to have someone who is a member of the Mt Pleasant community centre.  One of our parent’s father in law is on the committee at Mt Pleasant so hopefully this will help.  Otherwise Abi Wills believes she is a member.  Will need help with raffle and auction prizes.

We may do something in the meantime but with Christmas approaching we may not.  Christmas concert will be the first week of December, likely Tuesday.

Fundraising email address - fundraising@moakids.org.nz

Calendars raised just over $700 which is great.

Redcliffs School Fair - Borrowing ZF’s gazebo.  We talked about getting playdough and bubbles. We are going to buy bubbles and playdough to sell.  Talking to Lucy and Shay about facepainting with a gold coin donation.  Staff and parents will be on a roster for hour shifts.

 

POLICIES

Smoke Free - October for review

Need to have a designated area specified for smokers to go eg Main Road.

Smoking e-cigarettes and vaping.

Separated Parents Policy - new policy

MoE have recommended the wording.

CW wants feedback on the highlighted area.

Unanimous agreement that it is well worded and covers everything.  MoE are happy with it.

Will stay in draft for people to keep reviewing for the next month.

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Incorporated Society

4 new members and 0 resigned members.  All approved.

Christmas dates

Closing at 5pm on Friday 22nd December, reopening at 8am on Monday 8th January 2018.

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 20th November 2017 at 7.30pm

 

MEETING CLOSED at 8:30pm