Committee Meeting Minutes October 2018

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 15th October 2018

Meeting held at Moa Kids premises.

Present:          

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE: Carly Waddleton (CW), Steve Willcox (SW), Zoe Fidler (ZF), Rrita Xharra-Pope (RP) & Abi Wills (AW)

STAFF MEMBERS: Hayley Strachan (HS) & Letisha Derham (LD)

NON-COMMITTEE PARENT: Fran Hook (FH)

Apologies:       Shelley Mitchell (SM),  Jude Coombs (JC) and Nicole Murply (NM)

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting September 2018

Policies are going to be held and approved/discussed next month.

Moved: Carly Waddleton

Seconded: Zoe Fidler

CHAIRS REPORT (JC)

Thank you to the teachers and staff for the holiday programme, we have had lots of awesome feedback.

Steve and Carly have done Hayley’s appraisal.

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)  

We have several children heading off to school over the next month. We have been able to give away their spots. Maybe not all hours. But we have given away spots. We are at the stage now we need to bring on nursery children when someone heads to school. Lots of our nursery waitlist children don’t want spots until January. So there may be a small drop in funded hours come December. But confident these will fill up in January.

Again the holiday programme was a hit with the children and had great feedback from families. So we will continue to do this is the term holidays.

I have some annual leave coming up in November. I will be off the week of show week. Letisha will step into my role over this time.

Emily’s last day is tomorrow, before she heads away on Maternity leave. We had a lovely surprise baby shower for a few weeks back. Margie starts in there on Monday 29th and will do 8.30 – 3. Deb is picking up the full time hours.

Rachael has settled in well to her head teacher’s position. We have had great feedback from parents and she has settled in just before Emily leaves. Which is fabulous

With Margie stepping into Emily spot and Lucy gaining Nanning hours. I will start to advertise for relievers.

Traditionally we don’t have a meeting in December as a lot of people are already away. It is the Monday before we close. Would you like this to continue not to have one in December or would you like one?  The decision was to not have one in December and the January meeting will be on the 4th week (1 week later than normal) so the 28th January.

It is the time of the year to look at the strategic plan and annual plan for 2019, I will be doing this between now and Christmas

The children’s Christmas party will be decided at the staff meeting tomorrow night. It will probably be the first week in December. Either the 4th or 5th.  I would say.

Just to confirm Christmas closing dates are Friday 21st. Normal time at 5pm and Reopen at 8am on Monday 7th January

We would like to do a working bee at some stage. Do think it is too late to book one in for this year, or are we better to do it in the New Year.  Decision made to book it in this year.  The date chosen is Saturday 3rd November from 8:30am.

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

We made a profit of $9,802 against a budget of $6k.  

Income revenue all ahead of budget (Gfund and Fees).

Broadly we are in line with everything with only a couple of items going over budget, eg cleaning.  We are overspent in staff expenses but this is due to relievers.

HS asked if we could possibly look into having a buffer staff member to cover holidays, non-contact, sickness etc.  SW said he’ll hold this until we do next year’s budget in Feb/March next year.

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Rata Foundation

ZW & AW to sit and discuss this.  HS to print out her wish list. ZF to check date we received the previous grant from Rata Foundation.

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

On Thursday we are participating on Shake Out at 9:30 am.  

HS purchased some bucket hats for trips which have string attached so that there are no incidents of hats blowing off whilst out.

FUNDRAISING

The quiz and Winnie Bagoes have been postponed until 2019.

We will look at doing Dubba Deluxe as they offer 50% towards fundraising organisations.

The only thing ongoing is the photography fundraiser.  The money raised from the photos, cake stall and calendars will go towards equipment for the nursery.

We will have a calendar of events in the foyer for next year.

POLICIES

August - Governance, Management & Administration: Complaints; and

September - Governance, Management & Administration: Enrolments; - this has been deferred until November meeting.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Staff vaccinations - CW has asked if staff can get a record of their vaccinations.  It would be beneficial to know which staff are vaccinated and which aren’t.  Also, it would be good to know if any staff need boosters.  HS to enquire about pricing. Can we offer flu jabs to the staff when they come around again?  HS happy to offer.  ZF to ask parents about updating vaccinated records for children turning 15 months and 4 years.  HS to look into having a nurse in regarding explanation.

Epi-Pen - do we have one on site?  No.  Do we need one?  We have no-one here who would need one. HS would personally not choose to have one on site from past experience. If a child comes in who does have serious allergies then HS could re-look at this.

Sofa - we need to get this dumped.  ZF offered for her husband to collect it with the trailer and dump it on our behalf.

Spraying - Letisha brings the children in when they have been spraying.  The Council will tell you that it’s all natural ingredients and there’s nothing they could do.  CW suggested doing an official complaint.  HS and LD are very aware of this issue and have asked CCC to inform us whenever they are going to spray.

NEXT MEETING

Monday 19th November 2018 at 7.30pm (last of the year!)

MEETING CLOSED at 8:05pm