Committee Meeting Minutes July 2017

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday 17th July 2017

Meeting

CANCELLED DUE TO NOT ACHIEVING QUORUM NUMBERS.  ALL REPORTS THAT WERE TO BE GIVEN ARE LISTED BELOW AS PER A “NORMAL” MEETING

Moa Kids premises

Present:

GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE:

STAFF MEMBERS:

Apologies:      

 

KARAKIA

Manaakitia tenei hui

Manaakitia tenei roopu

Manaakitia tenei kaupapa

Arahina nga korero

Arahina nga patai

Arahina nga tikanga

Ka puta ai te marama

 

Bless this gathering

Bless this group

Bless this family

In their reasons for this gathering

Guide this discussion

Guide the questions

Guide us towards a greater understanding

 

PREVIOUS MINUTES

From Committee Meeting June 2017

Approved true and correct -

Seconded - Hayley

 

CHAIR REPORT (JC)

Nothing to report in Carly’s absence

 

MANAGERS REPORT (HS)  

We have had a very busy month with show arounds and new families starting.

We are now full in the nursery on most days. Also in the centre Tuesday and Wednesday once everyone gets back from holiday.

We have had 12 children enrolled since the last committee meeting with them all starting between now and a few weeks time.

We are also now at the stage where we have waiting list on days for the nursery and the preschool.

With the centre being so full, I have had to bring on a third teacher at times in the nursery. I will continue to use relievers to do this, then if it does continue we will need to look at this. Preschool hours are up as well, so will have to look at relievers in here, to cover the busy parts.

This month Staff wages were up, there has been a lot of sick leave in June from the staff and also with the extended numbers.

Sharleen is back on 31st July. She will be doing three days and Silvia will be in the nursery these days.  Ali will do the other two days, until the end of the year. Maria’s last day will be 28th July.

Emily is off on placement for 5 weeks. Not the best timing but of course one of this things. Margie, Ali and I will be covering over this time.

The holiday program seems to be working well and helping the children with siblings at home, still come in.

 

FINANCIAL REPORT (SW)

Income

Well above budget on Government funding through higher than budgeted children numbers. In particularly in June where hours for under threes were almost 50% higher than last year.  Fees from Parents/Winz are ahead of budget.

Costs

Staff costs are well above budget as we deal with bigger numbers of Children and some sickness, particularly in June.  Other costs are within budget.

We have a made a cumulative profit for quarter one and are $12k ahead of budget at the profit level.  This is an excellent start to the year.

 

HR REPORT (HS)

Covered in Managers Report

 

SUCCESSION PLANNING (AW)

We need to start reaching out to existing families.  We need to figure out the best way to do this.  Maybe nursery families is the way to go.

We could do volunteer profiles on facebook (it’s volunteer week) which could be a nice of way letting people know what we do etc.  Q&A sheets will be made up.

 

GRANTS (AW & ZF)

Strengthening Communities Grant has been lodged.  We are still waiting to hear about this.

Harcourts - I applied for a grant for Harcourts for new beds and sheets however we were unsuccessful.  However, after talk to Hayley we are looking at the next grant to hit up.  We are thinking either The Lion Foundation or Mainland Foundation.  We have not used The Lion Foundation as far as I am aware.  We have used Mainland Foundation but were unsuccessful with them last year.

Rata Foundation - ZF and AW will start working on an application to the Rata Foundation for new outdoor equipment.  HS has supplied a quote of what she wants so we just need to get the paperwork sorted.

Closed for Good - BNZ - Somehow I missed the cut off date for this but I cheekily emailed asking if we could still be considered.  The answer was yes so I got the form straight in.  They have put the request out to their staff members who get to choose what they do on the day so we are just waiting to hear if we have the required number of people who want to help us!  I have asked for people to tidy up the grounds, clean the outside of the building and refill the sandpit.

 

HEALTH & SAFETY (LD)

 

FUNDRAISING (JudeC)

Disco - This was an amazing event, very well attended by the local community and the children had a great time.  We raised approx $500.

Murder Mystery - van Asch has declined our request to use their hall.  ZF has put a request in to Christchurch City Council for the new Sumner Community Centre.  She should hear by the end of July.  The date is looking likely to be Saturday 23rd September.

JC to speak to Julia at New World regarding supporting us at the Murder Mystery.  We will ask JW if he would mind approaching people to help with prizes etc as he did a brilliant job last time.

ZF will email parents asking for a group to form a small committee.  Need to start thinking about the auction too.  

 

POLICIES

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Committee photographs (ZF)

ZF has arranged a date and time for these to be taken.

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 21st August 2017 at 7.30pm

 

MEETING CLOSED