Who would believe that we are nearly through May?
You wouldn’t think this with the wonderful weather we have been having that it is winter next week, but I’m not complaining.
With the cooler weather meant to be approaching us, please make sure children are packing warmer clothes in their bags. One of our statements we like to use at Moa is “there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing”. So, with winter nearly here, please pack named jackets, gumboots and lots of warm clothes. If it is bucketing down, the children won’t be out in it, but with light showers and cooler weather the doors will be open and the children will have the opportunity to play outside if they like.
Thank you to all the families who supported our first Bake Sale for the year. Wow you mums and dads really know how to bake. This was another successful event and we managed to raise just on $800. This was fantastic! We have decided that this money will go towards new resources to support our Reggio inspired philosophy. With Moa Kids being a not-for-profit community-based centre, fundraising events play a very important part in our way of life. A huge thank you to all the families who supported this.
Also, thank you to all the families who came along to our AGM. I personally was not there, as I was away on professional development. However, I have had great feedback on our lovely guest speakers from Redcliffs Primary School. When writing the report for the AGM, it made me realise how far we have come and what a busy year we have had. I look forward to the next year!
We said goodbye to some long-standing committee members and welcomed some new ones on. Which is always very exciting. We have our monthly committee meetings the third Monday of every month. Everyone is welcome and they are held here in the preschool room at 7.30pm
Next month we have our children’s disco. This is a highlight on the Moa Kids calendar for all of the children. This year we have decided to tie it in with our Matariki celebrations. It will be on Friday 28th June between 4.30pm and 6.00pm here in the preschool room. As this is a fundraising event there will be a gold coin donation on entry. We will be selling sausages and some party snacks and we will have some glow in the dark toys for the children to buy. Make sure you pack their pocket money. This is a preschool event, but older siblings are most welcome to come along.
We had our trike-a-thon this month in conjunction with Road Safety Week. The children were so excited to bring in their bikes, trikes and scooters. It was such a lovely afternoon weather wise, so we were able to get out into the carpark and let the children zoom around. Thanks to Zoe who was able to get a few of the ramps from Redcliffs Primary school. These were a huge hit. We even managed to raise nearly $60 for BRAKE NZ!
With the centre so full, we have a lot of families wanting extra casual days, especially in the nursey. If you are away, or planning on taking leave, please let me know as we may be able to give away your day.
One of our lovely families donated $1000 to the centre last month. With this, we were able to purchase two sets of new blocks for the preschool room. A huge thank you to this family.
Remembering because we are a listed charity, any donations you make, we can print receipts for you to claim back. This also goes for the $10 donation paid weekly.
Just a reminder we are closed on Monday for Queen’s Birthday. I hope you all have a lovey long weekend and hopefully this fabulous weather stays around.
My door is always open so if there is any issue or something you would like to discuss, please don’t hesitate to come and see me.
Welcome to our new families
As we are so full now, we haven’t had the opportunity to say welcome to anyone new this month!
We have said goodbye and Happy School Days to Phoenix and Cassie. We hope their next learning adventures are fun ones. We have also said goodbye to Quinn from the preschool room.
Ali is currently on leave in the UK. Dawn has stepped into this role while she is away. It great to have Dawn on board. Ali will be back at the start of July.
Our beloved Zoe is heading off to follow her photography dreams. We are advertising her role now. We will update you when we have found a suitable replacement. Zoe’s last day at Moa Kids is Friday 21st June.
- Cold food: We have noticed a lot of food that should really go in the fridge, still in the children’s lunch boxes at lunch time. Please remember to name any fridge items, put them in the basket and a teacher will put them into the fridge.
- Show and tell: Each child who attends the preschool room has a show and tell day. This is the day where they can bring is something special to show their peers. We know lots of our friends like to bring in toys and often it is the same toy from the week before. We are not saying no toys, but if parents could get the children to have a think of something different each time, this will help their child when they get up to talk about their “show and tell”. Remember that you are most welcome to email in any photos of what they been getting up to over the weekend. This goes down really well and the children normally have lots to say about it.
- Lost Property: Please, please check the lost property in the foyer and the show and tell treasures. Also make sure your child’s clothes are named as this will help with getting items back to the correct child.
- Moved House? We know many of you have recently moved house. Can you please ensure you have updated Zoe or myself in the office so we can make sure our system is up to date.
- Nappies: Some parents choose to bring a bag of nappies in for their child and we let the families know when they are running low by writing on the daily role sheet. Please make sure when you see “please bring nappies” that you bring them in as soon as you can. We have emergency nappies if children run out, but these need to be replaced if used. We unfortunately are not in the position to be supplying nappies to children.
- Parking: Can you please make sure that you are parking in the car parking spaces provided. Please don’t park along the fence line by the entrance to Moa Kids. This is a safety issue for all of our children arriving and leaving Moa Kids.
- Nut Free Zone: Moa Kids is a “nut free” zone. Lately we have been noticing a lot of nut products coming in cashews, almonds, peanut butter sandwiches etc. Please can you remember that we are a nut free zone when you are making your child’s lunch.
- Bags: We are keen to take any plastic or paper bags you may have.
- Excursions: If your child is down to go on an excursion can you please make sure that your child has good walking shoes either on them or in their bag and they have a coat.
- Jacket & Hat: Please make sure that you have packed a named winter hat and a few layers for your child now the cooler weather approaches. Also, can you make sure that you are bringing in a jacket or coat for your child too.
Our next Governance Committee meeting is being held on Monday 17th June. The meeting will start at 7.30 in the preschool room.
We have been very lucky to have lots of students this year. Bel is our new addition. She will be with us for the next 5 weeks. Bel is studying at the University of Canterbury. We look forward to all the great experiences that she will bring to the nursery.
Music sessions are a huge hit in the nursery. The children just love to dance, so we have been including a music session in our daily activities. The children love ‘’rock a bye your bear’’, ‘’baby shark’’ and ‘’here comes a bear’’. We often use the scarves or musical instruments to accompany the activity.
The nursery had a great turnout at the trike-a-thon this year. The children had a huge variety of bikes and trikes to ride around on. It was also great to see them all riding with their helmets on.
Ivy has been slowly transitioning into the preschool environment. She has settled in well and is exploring all the amazing opportunities that are available to her.
We said farewell to both Phoenix and Cassie this month. We had two great happy last day themes. Rainbow Unicorn Disco day and tie dying rainbow day. The children take a lot of pride when they get to select their last day theme. It a great way for them to leave on a high.
Shay managed to find an old projector for us to use. The children have been exploring light and shadows.
Our art area is always super busy. We have been trying to bring nature into the art area. The children have been exploring the different nature art set ups. Make sure you check out your child’s art folder as the box is bursting with creative art.
We have been so lucky with this warmer weather. The children have certainly made the most of it. The new mud kitchen still is a huge hit, the children have now mastered how to use the pump.
The children have been moving lots of our equipment around and exploring with construction play. They are all working together throughout this play which is great to see.
We set the soccer net up in the outdoor area, so there has been lots of football and ball sports. We have had a few children transition through from the nursery and also new children starting. Our preschool children have been great and caring and helping out when needed. Very good at showing them the ropes of preschool life.
The preschool sandpit has continued to be a busy place. Often exploring with the water. On a nice day you will often fid the sandpit is full of busy children working away together.
We have noticed a lot of children showing an interest in drawing and writing. wee of course support this and plan activity and learning experiences around this.
Dolphin Club News
The language Dolphin Club is learning this term is Hindi. We have been learning lots of action songs, numbers and greetings. The children have really got into learning languages and pick them up so quickly. The children are also loving learning the Hindi dances. Make sure you ask your child, as they are all getting very good at them.
We have also been researching India’s national animals. Did you know that one national animal of India is a Peacock? The children have been very busy making Peacocks using the hot glue guns and other craft items to make these.
There has been lots of art and craft in dolphin club this month. The children are enjoying being able to take their time and revisit the art projects.
Friday 28th June - 4.30 – 6.00 pm
This is for pre-schoolers but older siblings may attend.
Have you been away somewhere exciting and you want to let everyone know, or have you got a new person in your family? Please send a few details to Zoe and she’ll put a little piece in the “children’s corner” section.